[NTLK] Hi everybody. I'm new here

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Tue Nov 01 2005 - 10:26:24 PST

Subject: [NTLK] Hi everybody. I'm new here
From: giorgio razzano <gi_ramondo () yahoo ! co ! uk>
Date: 2005-11-01 10:50:54

> Sorry for the off-topic, but I'm new and I would
> like to introduce myself.

Welcome!

> I have a MP2100 since 1997. After a Psion S5 and a
> Sony UX50 (which died last week) I'm going back to my
> first "love". I have seen a lot of new stuff in the
> list/FAQ and it's really a nice surprise for me.

Also check the Wiki (link below), where you find many tips and tricks
compiled. BTW, it is much recommended to contribute your own solutions
to the Wiki whenever you try something new and couldn't find any
detailed HowTo for that... Just log every step you did and post it at
the Wiki, this will help the next Newtonian trying the same thing!

> The newton still work and the community is almost
> the same...

Though less Newton websites are online these days, every year more and
more go offline--often taking take their knowledge and software with
then into the nothingness...

> At the moment I have this problem:
> - my MP2100 (after a long period of inactivity - 3
> years without batteries) won't turn on.

Have you charged the batteries?

Are you using a origianl (=ancient) battery pack from Apple or third
party, or are you using a battery holder with alkalines or fresh NiMH
cells?

  Maybe the cells are dead and need to be replaced--check the Wiki for
people in Northern America or Europe who help with that. DIY
instructions are at Frank's website http://www.pda-soft.de .

I would try charging over night, remove any storage cards and pull the
wake up-switch and press reset simultaneously for a couple seconds
(maybe 10 sec). Then I'd expect to hear the booting chime. Have you
tried this? (If you get a popup after start asking "Do you want to
delete all?", tab "No"!).

> I have read the FAQ, but without results...
> so ...
> should I go to the next Apple store/repair centre

Does the FAQ still mention these?! The last update was promised for
Fall of 2003, so this--together with some other topics--may be vastly
outdated.

Is anybody still maintaining the Newton FAQ at all?

> or what??

If there is a real hardware issue, I'd send it to Frank. Hmh, I've
actually even done that already--twice! ;=}
    When you do that, you can also get your battery pack recelled (much
stronger cells than Apple ever used=more runtime for you!), maybe a
Ser-001 installed, how about a new backlight, also he maybe still has
some 20 MB storage cards on offer (quite a good price!)...

And if you wonder what you could possibly clutter up 20 MB cards, then
grab some stuff from here: http://www.stillnewt.org/library and see how
that works out. ;=}

Cheers,

'Kasko