Re: [NTLK] Interest List: USB-001

From: Ian (isoboroff_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 01 2005 - 11:02:10 PST

Even if the USB-001 acts like a serial endpoint (i.e., you're not getting a
USB host, but you're turning the Newton into a serial USB device), then it
would be a win because it would replace the SER-001 for syncing and it's
hard to get SER-001s anymore. I also suspect that this is the easiest to
write a driver for.
Not that I'm any kind of Newton expert, but the SER001 was just a piggyback
onto the built-in connector, which provides the capability of a serial port.
You can't really rig a USB host controller onto the wrong side of a serial
port. Thus, a hypothetical USB001 isn't going to connect to mass storage.
I'm not even 100% sure about a keyboard.

Folks who are interested in a USB host controller on the Newton should skip
the dedicated hardware approach and instead write a driver for a PCMCIA USB
adapter.