Re: [NTLK] I am my own grandpa (sysadmin?)

From: Norman Palardy (npalardy_at_great-white-software.com)
Date: Wed Nov 02 2005 - 14:44:07 PST

On Nov 02, 2005, at 3:20 PM, Adamson_at_aol.com wrote:
> I have a question for all of you expert "IT" guys/gals. I am asking
> this
> with reverence and sincerity.
>
> If one had just basic computer knowledge, how would one go about
> acquiring
> greater expertise? Are there any recognized methods? If computer
> science
> degrees are suspect, what methodology works?

Comp Sci degrees are NOT the thing to get to learn how to do support
and do it well.
A Comp Sci degree is better for things like being a software developer.
Or maybe software engineering.

The best support people I know were techs before they got all the
required MCSE's, A+'s , etc (which just said they could do what they
already did)
Go work at a place assembling PC's as a start. A local mom & pop shop
where you can learn everything about the insides and how it all goes
together and how to fix it and trouble shoot it if things go bad.