Re: [NTLK] I am my own grandpa (sysadmin?)

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Nov 02 2005 - 15:03:03 PST

I guess the answer to this would depend on what you
plan to do with the knowledge.
If this is just for hacking and personal enjoyment,
then I suggest that you figure out what it is you like
to do best (code hacker, hardware hacker, general
gadgeteer) and the platform you want to be an *expert*
in (*nix, Mac, Windows or some embedded specialty OS
<can Java be considered an OS now that it's on
portable products?>)
And then learn by doing. Most products have a 30 day
trial period that can be faked by using the windows
restore function...Use a machine that is not your
primary machine, create a restore point and install
your software. When it expires, restore to that
restore point, reinstall the software and you get
another 30 days...I find that I can usually get the
hang of things like this in two or three itterations.
Next, I suggest that you sign up to groups that are in
the industry. Somewhere in my past, I got signed up to
an MSDN subscription that I no longer have, but I
still get demo software for SQL, 2003 server MS
Voice...

Now, if you want to get in this for the money...well,
I have a website you should visit and that may very
well persuade you to persue greener pastures...if you
want to read about it.

If you're not disuaded, then I would recommend that
you do get some kind of BS or MS or some kind is
Science degree...it doesn't necessarily need to be
computer science, just get a degree...It will do
absolutly nothing to your knowledge pool, but what it
will do is get you the ability to not hit your glass
ceiling too early in your carreer. Without a degree,
your thoughts will hinge on things like "if I had a
degree, would *I* have gotten that promotion instead
of *him*?" It's not worth it. get the degree. While
getting your degree, you will find that most of your
professors are idiots...stick it out...it's worth it
in the long run.

Then, get certified.
Again, find what it is you like to do and get
certified in it. But don't become a paper tiger. Learn
by doing! Get a couple old computers and just throw
software on it until you learn what it is you're
doing. I had a co-worker who had to go overseas for
several months and had nothing better to do with his
time, so he got a Windows MSCE book and read it ove
and over. When he came back to the states, he took his
MSCE exams and passed them...to this day he still
doesn't know how to map a drive...it's frustrating
because companies hire him based on his resume. He has
the certs (MCSE+I, CCIE, CIE, CISSP) but retains none
of the knowledge...needless to say, his jobs don't
last long.
So there you have it.
the best piece of advice I can give is do what you
love. It's not worth getting up in the morning to go
to a job you hate!
Ed
web/gadget guru
Download Newton packages directly onto your Newton:
http://newton.tek-ed.com

--- Adamson_at_aol.com wrote:
<snip>
> I have a question for all of you expert "IT"
> guys/gals. I am asking this
> with reverence and sincerity.
>
> If one had just basic computer knowledge, how would
> one go about acquiring
> greater expertise? Are there any recognized
> methods? If computer science
> degrees are suspect, what methodology works? Is
> there a recommended path or
> books or just how does one go about learning more
> than just the average user
> possesses? I realize the answer might be something
> along the lines of "depends
> on what you want to do." If there is a roadmap for
> gaining general computer
> expertise, I would like to hear what it is.
>
> Thanks for any consideration you choose to give this
> somewhat radical
> question that does not relate to Newton directly.
>
> Bob Adamson

"I'm not an expert, but I *did* stay at a Holiday Inn Express once..."
     --Holiday Inn Commercial

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs