Re: [NTLK] [OT] Root Kits on Mac?

From: Robert Dylan Stewart (bob_zimmerman_at_myrealbox.com)
Date: Wed Nov 09 2005 - 22:35:34 PST

What's even more amusing about this Sony rootkit is that apparently
if you install it on the current previews of Windows Vista, it
"breaks the operating system spectacularly". If this breaking makes
it into the final version of Vista, I'd imagine a lot of people are
going to be all kinds of angry.

Further, if I understand properly, it prevents ripping of *any* CDs,
not just ones to which Sony has the copyright. Makes files ripped
from the CD drives unlistenable by adding in noise. And if you try
to remove it, it breaks your CD-ROM drivers in a way that basically
requires a reinstall of Windows to fix.

So yes. There is no way in which this could not be considered
malware unless you also consider Claria (formerly Gator) to also be
non-malicious.

--
  Robert D. Stewart    AC5ZH