Re: [NTLK] Native installer for NCU and OS X Update

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Sat Nov 12 2005 - 16:32:43 PST

on 11/11/05 17:18, James Wages at james_at_kiramek.com wrote:

> On 11/11/05 10:14 PM, Laurent Daudelin <laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net> wrote:
>> Paul Guyot did much of the work with the Desktop Connection Library (DCL)
>> <http://www.kallisys.com/newton/dcl/>. However, I think there are still some
>> bugs here and there and the last update was from August 2004, over a year
>> ago...
>
> Laurent, ATA Support is one of the more popular Newton apps that has been
> built in "recent years," and yet it has not been update since 2003:
>
> <http://www.kallisys.com/newton/ata/>
>
> When I paid my $50 to purchase a license to ATA Support well over a year
> ago, I exchanged several emails with Paul about speed issues. Paul
> indicated that updates to ATA support were forthcoming, as he could do some
> more tweaks to make it faster. No updates ever came out.
>
> I do not say this in any way as a strike against Paul. Indeed, I am
> grateful to Paul for bettering the Newton community. But I think it does
> illustrate how unlikely it is that we will see any "betterment" of existing
> software, and how unlikely it is anything similar to NCU will ever see the
> light of day, even 3 years hence.
>
> The fact is, NCU is still the best software for synching one's Newton to a
> Mac, but it is not native on Tiger. Will a native version of NCU appear in
> the future, fully reverse-engineered by an active community of Newton
> programmers? I think not. But that's not because it's impossible. It's
> simply the lack of a will. Most Newton users and programmers seem to like
> to "toy" with their Newtons now, but few are willing to invest time in
> serious programming. This is the basis for my skepticism on the issue.
>
> But again, if I am off-base, I would love to hear the thoughts of others on
> this point.

If the DCL is available through Objective-C and if I could use it in an
application to replace NCU, would there be takers for $12? That's the price
I've been charging for my 2 other shareware applications I wrote for Mac OS
X. My hands are quite full supporting and enhancing those 2 apps but when I
have some little spare time, I could have a look...

-Laurent.

CLM /C-L-M/: [Sun: `Career Limiting Move'] 1. n. An action endangering one's
future prospects of getting plum projects and raises, and possibly one's
job: "His Halloween costume was a parody of his manager. He won the prize
for `best CLM'." 2. adj. Denotes extreme severity of a bug, discovered by a
customer and obviously missed earlier because of poor testing: "That's a CLM
bug!"