Re: [NTLK] OT - I need an old 5 1/4" floppy drive to recover old PC data -- Any ideas?

From: Andrei Chichak (newton_at_chichak.ca)
Date: Sun Nov 13 2005 - 12:03:07 PST

At 12:14 PM 11/13/2005, you wrote:
>Not that I am an expert on these things but don't they rely on a floppy disk
>controller card that uses an AT slot?

Oh, you're sooo close. The controller circuitry was on PC/XT bus then AT
bus (VESA, EISA, PCI) cards but now it is all within the hard drive
controller chips and is on the mother board. The support code for 5 1/4"
drives is still included.

My point is that the interface cable changed from a card edge connector on
the 5 1/4" drives to a 0.1" matrix IDC connector on the 3.5" drives. It is
this interface cable that Matt has to get as well.

>Most PCs don't have these slots anymore.

Nor are they required. The floppy controller is integrated on the motherboard.

Andrei