[NTLK] OT - I need an old 5 1/4" floppy drive to recover old PC data -- Any ideas?

From: mkow1234_at_aol.com
Date: Tue Nov 15 2005 - 16:58:17 PST

Hello Paul,

I grabbed another drive from the PC shop, but I'm still having trouble. This drive is a combination of both 3.5" and 5.25" floppy drives integrated together. However, every time I boot up my machine, it warms up, then restarts again! The only way the machine stays up and running is if I hit the F5 key. Of course, then it's in safe mode, and I can't check or add additional hardware!
I did get the drive to partially work, but only the 3.5" drive seems to be recognized by my PC.

I can't figure out what, if anything, I am doing wrong. I know I had to disconnect one of the CD-Rom drives so I could use the power connector for the floppy and so forth, but that should not make my machine act funny, should it? I may need to use your machine if this continues. Argh. My head hurts now.

Matt K.