Re: [NTLK] Your heap wanted.

From: RAParker (quadzillanet_at_newted.org)
Date: Wed Nov 16 2005 - 20:45:00 PST

On Nov 14, 2005, at 6:52 PM, Matthew Hudson wrote:

> I want everyone who can to tell me how much heap they have available
> while running everything they run on a normal basis.
> I am a card swapper so I put what I need in when I need it (most of my
> time in front of a Newton is either reading or programming).
> I am trying to figure out how much heap I can use in a program before
> it becomes a problem.
>
> -Matt

On my MP120 v2.0, heap is a very fleeting and incredibly precious figure.
Although my MP120 is loaded with several big (application-type) packages,
most of those stay frozen. I'll then thaw/freeze some extension-type
packages as needed. I use a 28MB Linear Flash card in the PCMCIA slot all
the time, except when I use a PC-Card modem. All the good stuff is on the
28MB card and the internal store is used only for essentials.

I also use a special utility package called "Heap Magic" to enable heap
caching. That, in itself, frees up about another 10-20K of heap during
normal everyday use. With Heap Magic activated, I try to keep greater than
50K of heap available, as reported by Avi's Backdrop after a reset. I can
go for days between resets and I will rarely see any HWR problems. But, if
I thaw the majority of my favorite extension-type packages all at once, I
can easily lower my available heap to 32-40K. At that level, it doesn't
take long before the HWR engine fails and I see a crash and/or a reset is
required.

Here's a pretty detailed idea of what my heap looks like when I start to
thaw stuff:

Max Heap Mode - 71488 free
   Avi's Backdrop, I++

Minimum GUI Mode - 70964 free
   Heap Magic, Avi's, 4 random backdrops,
   I++, extra buttons on the button bar,
   AlarmPak, Alarm Clock

Daily DayTimer Mode - 59368 free
   Heap Magic, Avi's, 4 random backdrops,
   I++, extra buttons on the button bar,
   AlarmPak, Alarm Clock, SoundPak, NewtToDo,
   Styles+, proPoint, Minico, Monaco

GPS Mode - 71608 free
   Heap Magic, Avi's, 4 random backdrops,
   I++, Extra Buttons on the button bar,
   GPS Map

Email Mode - 67584 free
   Heap Magic, Avi's, 4 random backdrops,
   I++, Extra Buttons on the button bar,
   GoFetch Shell Transport, GoFetch Extras,
   Styles+, proPoint, Minico, Monaco

HWR Super Editor Mode - 60848 free
   Heap Magic, Avi, 4 random Backdrops,
   I++, extra Buttons on the button bar,
   Merlin/Wordsleuth spell check & thesaurus,
   Styles+, proPoint, punctPad, Minico, Monaco
   Tekton, extra notes stationary

Ron

--
Sent using GoFetch Shell Transport and a Newton 120
--
       |\ | @ Newted.org