[NTLK] Dashboard Scripting 101

From: mkow1234_at_aol.com
Date: Fri Nov 25 2005 - 10:38:30 PST

Hello Everybody,

I liked the idea that "Ocean City John" had posted recently, for customizing some features in the Dashboard preferences area. I already had a registered copy of the application loaded on my Newton, though I now realize I had barely scratched the surface in terms of its capabilities.

In the "Scripts" area of the "Preferences" menu of Dashboard, I added my name and address (with hard returns) to the standard text-insert script. Then, I created a new gesture, "ad", to be used in the gesture launch window at the bottom of the Newton's "desktop" screen. Now, if I'm writing a letter or preparing a fax in the Notes application, I can quickly insert my name and address. I'm trying to think of other handy text-insert shortcuts. Any other ideas?

Hopefully, I can delve a bit deeper into Dashboard's scripting, learn how to program "hot buttons", and so forth. Could genuine Newtonscript programming be too far down the line?

Matt K.