Re: [NTLK] Dashboard Scripting 101

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Tue Nov 29 2005 - 10:32:32 PST

Subject: Re: [NTLK] Dashboard Scripting 101
From: Ed Kummel <tech_ed () yahoo ! com>
Date: 2005-11-28 21:51:25

> About a year or two ago, there was a considerable conversation
> going on about dashboard scripting and such...There even was
> talk about a repository of scripts for anyone to take advantage of.

Good idea!

> During that thread (and others) I gathered some scripts that I
> find helpful...Some speak the time, one reads any highlighted text
> outloud. Another dumps the heap information, another dumps the
> library information..Things like that...I for one, would not mind
> such a repository of scripts...

Me neither. Think the Library be a short-term fix? I'd guess the script
and a short about-blurb in a directory should do the job. And while
you're there, <shameless plug mode ON> you might as well grab a book or
three (see http://www.stillnewt.org/library/New%20Additions.txt ),
there's enough of them, over 130 (!) titles (not counting the 1990s
"legacy" releases by Bob Hicks et al., culled from AMUG, Planet Newton,
etc.), most of them available ONLY THERE (courtesy of all other
repositories being either offline nowadays or not accepting additions
anymore). Many reference works, Newton manuals, fiction, brand-new SF,
classic novels... All DRM-free, all CCL or public domain or with
special permission. All good for you. <shameless plug mode OFF>

> If necessary, I'll set up the webpage
> myself and create such a repository...
> if no one has done this yet!

Of course the Library still doesn't have anything like a web page and
funky features, it's just a directory structure. But it is actively
maintained
(and growing!--about twenty new books since Octobre 1st, and some
software, too), it works, it is there, and who knows, maybe it'll even
grow into a pretty swan one day.

Deal?

DJV.