[NTLK] Current Newton "Development" Projects

From: mkow1234_at_aol.com
Date: Wed Nov 30 2005 - 08:23:20 PST

Hello Newton Folk,

Just so you don't think I've been sitting idly by, here are my current Newton "development" projects:

* Dashboard research - Studying the Dashboard/GestureLaunch interface; attempting to write my own scripts; successfully tweaked several existing scripts so far; ordered a copy of "PackMan" through the Kagi payment system (allows one to convert scripts into .pkg form, so they can be off-loaded to other computers and Newtons), which didn't show yet (only ten bucks, but my Visa card is probably maxed out at the moment...)

* AvailWorks documentation project - AvailWorks is the ONLY true desktop publishing software for the Newton platform. Last year, I tracked down the fellow who presided over the company that produced it (Pen Computing maybe?). Anyhoo, he granted permission for free release of the program -- nice, since it originally retailed for $79.95. I had one of the only hard copy manuals in existence, and its oddball size (5.2" X 5.3" or so) made it impractical for converting to a .PDF format right off the bat, so...

I just got all of the text scanned and OCR'd, plus the requisite editing to remove typos. The secondary scanning of each page is underway, to acquire each pages' images. I have to import each page's images into Photoshop, save each individual image in a small footprint .bmp file, import each to a NewtonPress temp file, and THEN, import them into the formatted text of Newton Press document. It should be done "soon"...

This is a HUGE project for me to take on. My rationale is to empower more Newton users with tools to develop even more stuff! AvailWorks will let you add and save additional ClipArt images that you create (I know of several desktop publishing/art folks on this list that could use a kick in the butt to contribute something -- now, they'll have one less excuse!)

* Toying with the idea of creating some specific letter templates for Newton faxes. I'm thinking of calling it something like "Socially Responsible Spam" (I've already done this in the past with e-mail, to get revenge on spammers, so don't nobody steal my idea). Might put template letters together in a Newton eBook with a list of fax numbers for large corporations, evil government institutions, and so forth. Use guerilla marketing fax technique to promote socially responsible causes... (Just an idea at this point, but wouldn't it be cool to spam/fax IBM, Apple, Microsoft, Wal-Mart, etc., remind them to be good corporate stewards, treat employees decently, provide bicycle parking, tell them how Newton users are still cruising along WITHOUT any assistance, etc?)

* As an offshoot of the recent CIA World Fact Book work, I have a related project on the back burner. I plan to add more countries to the World Fact eBook, so it might be of reference use to a Social Studies or Political Science teacher using eMates/Newtons in the classroom. I won't be coming back to this project any time soon, but perhaps it will be in place for the NEXT school year...

* Been thinking about writing a "sequel" to "The Art of Newton". This would be an updated version with more current contributions from Newton users, describing how they use the Newton in their daily lives.
I'll have to track down the original author and ask him about it...

That's it!

Matt K.
Detroit, Michigan, USA