[NTLK] Making a Custom Mini DIN-8M to DB-9F Serial Cable...

From: Morgan Aldridge (makkintosshu_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun Oct 02 2005 - 14:35:07 PDT

I'm currently in the process of making a custom Mini DIN-8 (male) to
DB-9 (female) cable for working with Xserves and am looking for a
little help getting the wiring straight in my head. I've always tended
to be more of a software guy, but figured this is about as basic as you
can get in terms of getting used to the feel of a soldering iron again.
It seems everybody has a different idea of what a Mac/Newton to PC
serial cable is.

Basically, I was going to just go by Stephen Wong's "Make your own
Newton-to-PC Connection Cable" (
http://www.nsbasic.com/newton/info/technotes/cable.html ;
http://tinyurl.com/da3kw ), but was smart enough to check the Apple
Xserve G5 User's Guide ( PDF:
http://images.apple.com/server/pdfs/Xserve_G5_User_Guide.pdf ;
http://tinyurl.com/4dvze ) first. Their specification of pin signals
seems to be different and some of my Googling pulled up results for Sun
boxes which are yet another configuration.

I figure there's enough hardware people here that someone can probably
help me figure out how to map the Mini DIN-8 pins to those on the DB-9
so it'll work correctly on Xserves (and hopefully other devices as
well... got a couple switches and routers I could talk to too). Any
volunteers?

BTW - This is, of course, a temporary solution until SSH comes to the
Newton OS. ;)

Thanks,

Morgan Aldridge

--