Re: [NTLK] dead newton? - help!!

From: peter davson-galle (P.DavsonGalle_at_utas.edu.au)
Date: Sun Oct 16 2005 - 19:00:41 PDT

my thanks again
comments interpolated

At 07:43 PM 16/10/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>peter davson-galle wrote:
> > thanks for the response, when you say 'take some time to restart' do you
> > mean keep the button pushed for a long time (i did it for about a count of
> > 35) or jsut try many times? (i did it about 4times)
> > my technical competence is not up to your last comment. if there might be
> > such a problem then what can i do about it? get someone to undo the case
> > and replace the capacitor?
> > my thanks in advance

>no as far as the capacitor(s), that part wasn't for you and should have
>been a separate paragraph, I sometimes just kind of write as I think.
>
>---------------------------------
>
>I've had to take my newton through multiple resets, leave it plugged in
>for hours, unplug it, repeat etc till it would finally wake up.
>
>try this as it was posted recently. put your battery pack in the freezer
>for about 10 (ten) minutes and then plug it back in with the ac power
>also supplied. I've never tried it but my understanding of the theory is
>that it lets the newton add some charge to the battery.

ok it sounds like this is my best next move

>the whole issue seems to revolve around 2 things (as far as I can figure
>out) the newton doesn't like to start without batteries of some type
>installed (that are functional).

i would guess that the nimh battery (still original although i bought an as
yet unused spare back in 97/8) might have been totally discharged

>the reason behind the cold battery pack (if you are using replaceable
>batteries, which you didn't mention)

see above; but i did also try it with a set of oedinary alkaline aa batteries

>is that it fakes the newton out
>into putting a bit of a charge back into the battery wherby it
>eventually gets enough charge to bring the newton back up.

i get this but don't see why the normal aa ones wouldn't do the trick. mind
you, i only tried that for one restart

>ok back to you ......................
>have you tried starting the newt with fresh batteries?

yep (see aa story above)

>have you removed and reinstalled the battery pack?

yep (the dead nimh pack went back in after the failed aa attempt)

>have you tried the hard reset

hmm, no; i remeber the soft and hard reset stuff now but had forgotten
about it. i'd have to reread the manual to find out how to do it. i assume
freezing the nimh battery is what i should do first at this stage though

>(but do not answer 'yes' to erase this
>Newton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) if you answer yes to the reset you WILL loose ALL
>of your data. if you can not see the screen

which i can't

>then do not tap anywhere on
>it. remove the barries and unplug the power adapter and start over.

>I have resurrected a Newton before with the above process, but it
>requires getting the newton to 'see' the functional batteries

ok i'll freeze for 10 minutes when i get home and then put it on the ac and
try a few more button presses in the hope of resetting and report progress

>--
>special knowledge can be a terrible disadvantage if it leads you too far
>along a path that you cannot explain anymore.

then again, if it is explained as clearly as one can to the non-cognoscenti
then the latter's semming dead newton might be revived ;-)))

>mentat admonition
>--
>This is the NewtonTalk list - http://www.newtontalk.net/ for all inquiries
>Official Newton FAQ: http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/
>WikiWikiNewt for all kinds of articles: http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/

Peter Davson-Galle (Mr.)

Faculty of Education
University of Tasmania
Locked Bag 1307, Launceston
Tasmania, 7250
Australia

Phone: (prefix +61 3 international or 03) 6324 3287 (uni)
                6396 6118 (home)
Fax: (+61 3 international or 03) 6324 3048 (uni)

Email: P.DavsonGalle_at_utas.edu.au

Web page:
http://fcms.its.utas.edu.au/educ/educ/pagedetails.asp?lpersonId=1634