Re: [NTLK] Anyone out there printing to a network?

From: John Skinner (john_at_johnskinner.net)
Date: Mon Oct 17 2005 - 22:07:36 PDT

On Oct 17, 2005, at 10:29 PM, "Matt Howe" <matthowe_at_comcast.net> wrote:

> With the move to USB and network aware printers, has anyone out there
> figured out how to print to a network printer? I have the print
> pack and the
> Newton serial to parallel converter. But in this day and age, parallel
> printers are becoming more rare. So the logical and convenient
> method would
> be to print through the Newton's network interface. I have a Newton
> 2100upg,
> an Ethernet card and a wifi card, all working perfectly. I have a
> Epson, USB
> printer shared on an XP box. So, any insights?
>
> Matt "Ducky" Howe
> matthowe_at_comcast.net
> http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mhowe41/

Hey Matt,

I have an Epson Stylus Color 440 here at my home that I print to via
the network.

I think the catch is, that it is shared off of a Windows 2000 Server
that is sharing the Epson via Appletalk as a postscript printer. I
think that is the only way that the Newton is seeing it.

I don't know if you can do this from Windows XP without some soft of
3rd party software. Linux should be able to do this, but I haven't
any idea how to do that.