[NTLK] [OT] Safe Surfing, any comments?

From: John Hay (OceanCity_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Oct 18 2005 - 05:04:23 PDT

I have read that if you use an always-on Internet connection*** to check
out Tiger's new hacker-fighting tools. in the Sharing preference pane
and click on the Firewall tab to see advanced items. Click on it to
access options such as Stealth Mode. Enabled, uninvited (not sure
exactly what "uninvited" means) queries to your computer will receive no
acknowledgment, making it nearly impossible for someone to
surreptitiously discover and hack into your mac.

My question is, what criteria, if any, does using Stealth Mode use to
"filter" out inquires. For example, if I had an approved workstation on
my LAN that I wanted to gain access through to my primary workstation
that had the Stealth Mode enabled could I make contact and if so would
the only way be to know, for example perhaps, the "name" of the hard
drive on the primary workstation? I have not tested this all out
systematically as it would require 10-15 minutes work.

Note: always-on Internet connection***
.....just as a side note, talk about the quintessence of simple design,
besides all the careful systematic strategies, tactics, firewalls,
filters in the world try this. Connect a simple 25 hour lamp timer to
your cable or DLS modem. Set the timer to shut "off" at say 3am when no
one is using your computer and it's not doing auto nightly backups or
anything, then set it to come back on at 3:15 or so. This will force
your Internet modem to reboot every 24 hours without interrupting your
workflow, thus loosing your assigned DHCP IP address and renewing the
connection with a NEW one. Now, after all the hacker crawlers have
culled all the IP addresses using their utility software to scan for
zero to 255 and all the octets between, when they come back the next day
to hack into your computer it won't be there any more because your IP
address has changed. "Disregard that man behind the curtain." -The
Wizard of Oz (1939), <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032138/goofs>
Cinematic Goofs on celluloid.

http://www.1234zzzz.com/pub/BlindCourtesyCopies.html

email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended
recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken in
reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. Unless otherwise
noted, all information contained herein is copyright
NewMediaGroupUSA(TM) and Ycorp(TM) All rights reserved. ?