Re: [NTLK] Change "date sent" tag in SimpleMail?

From: William Pociengel (hseldon_at_my.wgu.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 20 2005 - 17:30:51 PDT

Michael C. Wittmann wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Thanks for the replies from Simon and William. I don't have my own
> mail server, but nobody else out there would see what I would be
> changing, anyway. And it's a shame that editing the message doesn't
> change the "date sent" or "date received" tag. How could one change
> those?
>
> I suppose I should explain my purpose in asking for the information.
> I want to use Mail to archive my Notes from the Newton. I would like
> them to be time-stamped appropriately. Because Mail on OS X does html

ahhhh now see if you'd said that in the beginning then two things would
now be different:

1) you wouldn't have learned this little bit anbout mail
B) you would have learned that if your mail system is mbox formatted you
could just go in and edit the dates on the individual messages
themselves and acheved the desired effect.

mbox formatting (to be blunt short and not to technical) just means that
all of the email messages will be in plain text with header data to
separate them (well close enough for this discussion) you could go in
and edit the displayed date nad / or the real date and then YOUR system
would be fooled into thinking thats what really happened.

you can copy your mailbox and play with this format if you choose. I've
done the same with some mail when I moved from eudora to thunderbird
(because I wanted my mail on a server available from any platform I booted)

does this answer your question??

oh if you use HTML formatted email this effort will be a bit tougher as
you;ll have to wade through all of the formatting. being able to write
scripts helps out a lot ;-)

william

--
special knowledge can be a terrible disadvantage if it leads you too far
along a path that you cannot explain anymore.