[NTLK] Testemoney

From: John Hay (OceanCity_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Oct 24 2005 - 09:16:55 PDT

Well, yet another tribute to the Newton.

Had to share this as I was reminded one more time that the Newton truly
does have nine lives, in my case now eight hopefully remaining.

At the local drugstore I had to put my Newton 2100 down on the counter
for a minute to insert my credit card into the machine, sign the
receipt, and put my card back in my wallet. After everything was bagged
up and paid for I pick up the four one-gallon distilled water jugs and
the plastic bag in my two hands, forgetting all about my Newton I had
placed on the counter and apparently the plastic bag got somehow stuck
on the Newton and it went flying off the counter only to hit the CEMENT
floor, tumbling a few times, finally coming to rest, along with my
heart! Not only was this not the normal 30" counter height, but I was at
the photo checkout counter that's more like four feet off the ground!

I bend down to pick up the Newton off the floor, still in shock, not yet
willing to face the reality of finding out what if anything happens when
I flick the power switch to check it out so I gather myself, the four
gallon jugs of water, the plastic bag, and the Newton, and leave the
store for my car. Once in the car, with my fingers crossed ....I
open the flip screen and discover to my relief no crack(s) in the
screen, phew! Then I flick on the power switch and low and behold all
is well. Wow. Now the only remaining possible damage might be the
backlight may have taken a hit. Even the backlight came on!

Well I just learned three things.

1) This is why I backup my Newton every day.
2) Not to drop my Newton.
3) I have eight lives left ;-)

Wow.

John