Re: [NTLK] [WTB] Want To Buy a "Clear" Newton

From: Lord Groundhog (LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Oct 25 2005 - 11:03:47 PDT

~~~ On 2005/10/25 18:17, Victor Rehorst at victor_at_newtontalk.net wrote ~~~

> Not the original site, but one with photos of a unit:
>=20
> http://ohshima.net/newton/frozen.html
>=20

Victor,=20

Thanks for some much needed light amidst the heat. Unfortunately, these
photos have just generated more heat in me. I think I'm in love. :(
Greg G puts his finger on the real problem: most of us have to categorize
potential purchases pretty much as he described, even if some of the amount=
differ in some of the categories.

But seeing those amazing photos -- I'm breathless! I'm almost tempted to
get a spare, perhaps dead Newton, and dismantle the case. Then I would try
to create a series of quality dies of the constituent parts, and experiment
with different kinds of clear materials (including perhaps some kind of
transparent, rubberized silicone compound?) in the hope of making a tough,
clear, shock-absorbent case.

But only almost. I doubt if I have the skill in tool and die making.

Victor, I appreciate that you'd rather not see this thread linger when it's
so pointless, but Newton-owners include a fair quantity of dreamers, (some
of us even believe Apple will one day make a new Newton). If there's such =
thing as a dream beyond owning a Newt or a "Newton 3", a see-through Newt
has to be a good candidate. Who's to say someone here doesn't have the
skill and inclination -- and obsessive personality :) -- to produce suc=
cases at a reasonable price at least for some of us?

Here's to dreaming.

Shalom.=20
Christian=20

=B3Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a NewtonPad.=B2
            -- in appreciation of Arthur C. Clarke

Fight Spam! Join EuroCAUCE: http://www.euro.cauce.org/

Refresh yourself from our MUG: http://www.oxmug.org/