Re: [NTLK] Want To Buy a "Clear" Newton

From: Paul Curtis (MicroSSG_at_Comcast.net)
Date: Fri Oct 28 2005 - 19:19:47 PDT

Sonny, all,

The best way is to have the case laser scanned into a CAD package to
compensate for the shrinkage. Hand measuring is going to create a huge
nightmare because of the complexity of the curves.
I have extensive experience in engineering molds. During my design days we
tried several times to reverse engineer finished products to see how
easy/difficult it would be for a competitor to replicate our products. These
products were perfectly geometrical Even with this compensating factor it
was very time consuming and difficult to do. This was of course preceding
laser scanning technologies, which makes the job much easier to get an
accurate "scale" version. Then you have to produce molds, run a test batch,
sample and retool until you have the exact match.
One benefit to this would be to get the right mold design and then be able
to compensate for add-ons/add-ins. Like if the BT/Mem/Ser adapter (or
whatever it becomes) needs a few thousands extra clearance - no problems,
just scale up the dimensions needed for depth and produce a run.

I'll check with my former employer to see if they posses the needed laser
scanner and if they are willing for me to mull around to do this. I'm not
hopeful that they will, but I'll ask.

Best Regards,

Paul Curtis
Certified Mortgage Planner