Re: [NTLK] Making some noise (recording and playback)

From: Michael C. Wittmann (mwittmann_at_maine.edu)
Date: Sun Oct 30 2005 - 13:45:07 PST

Smiling as I reply to this:

> What an utter waste of bandwidth!

So talking about sound on the Newton isn't? To each their own. Let's
not claim universal interest for every topic. That's why certain
threads get deleted on my machine. No interest. Or I don't own the
hardware being discussed. Or whatever.

I've never used the sound capabilities on the Newton, simply because
I can't export them to a usable location for storage and retrieval
later on. I consider that area of the Newton wasted space and wish
they'd created a version without the speaker and just screen up
there. (Yes, I've opened mine up, so I know there are parts of the
motherboard up there. Still, couldn't they have, I don't know, shrunk
it to just the screen size?)

Anyway, sound is cool, but from all I've read, I consider the sound
quality, the difficulty in getting sound working, and so on, too
large a hurdle to overcome. I don't love my Newton because of the
sound, I love it because of the intuitive HWR and text based,
interconnected, gesture driven interface. That's what's so beautiful
about the machine. The rest is eye (or ear!) candy, and more power to
those who love to use it that way.

Michael