Re: [NTLK] Interest List: USB-001

From: James Wages (james_at_kiramek.com)
Date: Sun Oct 30 2005 - 16:47:25 PST

On 10/31/05 6:19 AM, "Joel M. Sciamma" <joel_at_inventors-emporium.co.uk>
wrote:
> Sorry to be the voice of doom but Apple's refusal to make Newton
> technologies available to us makes life very difficult.

So why not ring up an x-Newton engineer and see what technical details they
will share for the community to reverse engineer NCU for XP and OS X? I
doubt they've forgotten the work they did on the Newton, and they might even
think it a fun hobby to work on.

"For fear of legal retribution"? Here we go again.
Just imagine... Headlines galore...

"Apple sues x-engineers for resurrecting deceased Newton community."
--Business Week

"Apple takes Newton community to court for reviving obsolete 1997 software."
--NY Times

"Apple lawyers take on Newton users to prevent the world's first PDA from
synching with new Macs."
--LA Times

"Apple Legal pounces to defend technology the company never intends to sell
in an ironic rehash of its own historical pilfering of Xerox Parc research."
--WSJ

"Steve Jobs sues Newton community as one last swipe against rival John
Sculley."
--Washington Post

"Time for Apple to revive the Newton, iPod style?"
--Time

Life is a risk, folks. Shall we cower in the closet for fear of lions in
the streets? It's time to step outside, take a breath of fresh air, and see
what a little ingenuity can do. How else does one put a dent in the Newton
universe?

--James Wages