Re: [NTLK] No more Type 10 error, but less hair

From: John Hay (OceanCity_at_mac.com)
Date: Sat Sep 03 2005 - 04:41:25 PDT

On Sep 3, 2005, at 1:41 AM, Martin Joseph wrote:
>> when I go to my Newton to dock I get no connection.
>
> The stealth serial port will work fine. I would stick with that
> personally.

YES! I know. I want to. I will, eventually pinpoint the snag.
Since both the serial port AND the dongle are failing it would appear
to be neither of these items at fault, therefore I have to look
elsewhere for the snag.

> Why on earth you removed is beyond me?

ONLY to troubleshoot. I DEFINITELY want to revert back to the
GeeThree serial connection as it is the most legacy compatible that I
can determine. I'll put it back in today and continue to
troubleshoot. To compound matters the KVM switch I am using is
intermittently faulty so I plug in my peripherals directly during the
legacy box setup, but then run out of time and have to unplug it all
to get back to work again on my other primary G5 box.

> What does the above mean actually? Are you making sure to set the
> preferences for connecting from NCU properly? Are you trying to
> initiate the connection from within NCU?

The "error 10" refers to some kind of and endless loop problem, but
after reinstalling NCU fresh the "error 10" issue has disappeared and
I am able to launch NCU 1.0 normally.

> It's not that hard, really it isn't.

I know it shouldn't be, but with my luck I always seem to run up
against lots of bottlenecks along the way. In the end though it's a
positive learning experience. This is how we learn. I will
prevail. I may even start all over from the very beginning this time
with the GeeThree serial [in place of the modem] board installed and
do a fresh Classic full install. Since this box is being dedicated
to creating the perfect legacy 9.2.2 platform I have nothing else on
the drive so it's an easy clean deal to just start from the
beginning. I know it should all just work, but obviously something
is stuck.

I appreciate your support.