Re: [NTLK] Considering WLAN PCMCIA - recommendations?

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Sun Sep 04 2005 - 12:35:09 PDT

On Sep 4, 2005, at 10:19 AM, gaudo wrote:

> I need this information too.
> I bought a wavelan lucent orinoco.
> Wich driver I need? and wich packages to access internet and send and
> receive emails?
> thanks

A Wavelan Lucent Orinoco? Don't you mean an Agere :~)

There is really only one option for wifi drivers on the newton at this
point and it is shareware. Although you can use it in a limited
capacity (no WEP) for free, I recommend supporting the developer, since
this is such a great addition to our aresenal.

http://www.ff.iij4u.or.jp/~ngc/eng/newtwave.htm

Also, Paul Guyot, ( I think my apoloigies to any other contributors?)
has made an extension to this that adds support for many additional
WIFI cards called MoreWIFI.

WARNING: DO NOT install this on your newton unless you need it as it
has been shown to interefere with some of the wifi cards that work with
just the above software.

http://www.kallisys.com/newton/morewifi/en

As far as card selection, a good way to go is to look around for a
dead Apple graphite base station. These base stations had faulty
capacitors that cause them fail, and use a bone stock Lucent Wavelan
silver card for there WIFI link.

Any of the older generation of Lucent Wavelan Silver or Gold cards are
recommended depending on what WEP you need. Also, there was a period
of time where Microsoft branded WIFI cards where available dirt cheap
(they were exiting that business), MN### (don't remember the #). More
WIFI supports these.

Keep in mind, you need to have a MP2000/2100 or emate for this function
and a good NIE 2 setup with ethernet extensions...

Good Luck,
marty