[NTLK] Proper NCU installation to PowerMac G4

From: John Hay (OceanCity_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Sep 05 2005 - 05:24:29 PDT

Norman,

You make an interesting point I was not aware of regarding the Apple
Modem Tool and AppleTalk ADSP Tool.

I am having a very fundamental problem setting up a bench-test
system devoted solely to creating a good solid hardwired serial
connection from my G4 to my 2100.

I have downloaded the NCU1.0Installer.sit (3.47 MB) image file from
UNNA and used it to install NCU onto my G4 running 9.2.2. For some
reason NCU did not properly install completely as the NCU splash
window telling me to establish a connection from my Newton appeared
by no "menu" items did. As a result, as Marty pointed out to me, I
was unable to set any preferences for NCU, and ultimately unable to
establish a simple wired serial connection to my 2100.

I now have discovered in a different archive folder on UNNA the image
file for the entire 2100CD and have just download it and will try to
do a re-install of the NCU package to my G4. Perhaps this will
install the NCU properly in it's entirety along with the two specific
files you mention which go in the extensions folder. I'll give it a
shot.

Aside from all this I have one other question to pose. Since the G4
PowerMac is a backup computer I don't normally even use at all, I'm
dedicating it to creating the best possible hardware/software legacy
base setup to plug my Newton into to load packages, etc. I therefor
have the option to do a total fresh install of Classic onto the G4
from scratch at will, without the downside of worrying about anything
else installed on the G4 as there is nothing else installed on the G4
in terms of data or applications. I use a dual G5 running Tiger to do
all my production graphics and video work, etc.

So my question is, what would be the BEST VERSION of Classic to
install onto my G4 for the most compatible Newton connection. I have
an Apple full version CD of Classic 9.2.1 that I had been using and
would like to use this unless it's inappropriate. I also understand
that after having done a full 9.2.1 install of the operating system
to my G4 I can or should then run any update patches from Apple to
bring the operating system up to 9.2.2 or 9.2.3 whichever is the last
version Apple developed and am asking if I should do this updating or
just leave the full 9.2.1 version alone once I install it from the
CD, or, should I be installing an even OLDER native version of
Classic such as 9.1? Does this matter or not?

In any case I'm installing Classic NATIVELY as opposed to installing
Tiger at all to run Classic under Tiger, as I understand this crates
a very different environment than a pure native Classic installation,
i.e., one which existed when Newtons were still in production and
active development in the late '90's.

TIA,

John

p.s. ..... I want to end up using one of the GeeThree serial boards
that I have which plugs into the G4 modem slot as this is claimed to
produce the most legacy compliant serial connection for a Newton, as
opposed, for example to using the Keyspan dongle which apparently
"does" work, but is slightly less compliant in all respects to a true
legacy serial virgin port.