[NTLK] Newbie Help is available

From: John Hay (OceanCity_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Sep 05 2005 - 06:41:43 PDT

RE: "as I can't seem to locate it [BASIC CONNECTIVITY FILES] and I'm
having what seems like the same sort of problem."

Brian,

You touch on a very sensitive and poignant issue.

This, the NTLK List, is composed of many very seasoned members who
must, I am sure, tire of the same relentless fundamental questions
from new Newton users looking for a little direction just getting
initiated to using their Newtons for the first time.

It is fully understandable that the regular List members must have,
over the years, formed strong bonds and community with the list,
often finding lasting new friendships and high-level discussions on
many of the finer points of Newton usage. I completely understand
that when a newbie asks a question such as "where can I find the
software I need to connect to my Newton" or "how do I connect my
Newton to my PowerMac" it must raise the hair on the back of their
necks as they have advanced light-years beyond day one of their
Newton experience and might see such questions as a nuisance to the
list.

I can honestly say that I have spent well over a full "weeks" man-
hours searching the Internet, Googling, scouring through the UNNA
site magnificent collection of knowledge, information, and downloads,
as well as many other resources.

If you are starting out may I suggest you check these pages in this
order, and you can then venture outward:

NEWTON NEWBIE GUIDE:
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/NewtonNewbieGuide

UNNA MAIN HOME PAGE:
http://www.unna.org/

WIKIWIKNEWT KNOWLEDGE BASE AND SEACH PAGE:
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/

NEWTON CONNECTION UTILITIES FOR MAC AND WINDOWS:
http://www.unna.org/view.php?/apple

MORE CONNECTION UTILITIES AT STILLNEWT:
http://www.stillnewt.org/library/_Software/NewtonConnectivityCD/

I hope no one minds that I have "wasted" so much bandwidth to share
the little I have learned struggling on my own so as not to infuriate
the long-standing members of this wonderful list, and that in posting
the above links am helping others get started using their Newtons for
the first time.

As always, I still would suggest you exhaust your own time looking
for the basic information you need on your own rather than just give
up and post the basic "how do I connect my Newton" questions as this
basic information **is** very well documented at the first link I
have noted above. Try there FIRST. Then, if you have any questions
that you think are so stupid and don't want to bother the other users
on this list you can always just email me off list at OceanCity_at_mac.com
  and I'll be happy to act to the best of my abilities, though
limited, but I will be sympathetic to the very different needs which
a first time Newton user has vs. the advanced topic which are very
appropriately discussed on this tremendous Newton List, the best List
going.

John
OceanCity_at_mac.com