Re: [NTLK] OT: connectivity from ibook to linux

From: William Pociengel (hseldon_at_my.wgu.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 05 2005 - 13:36:47 PDT

Mr. David M. Ensteness wrote:
> 10.3 has no issues finding and reading NFS or SMB shares so you
> should be able to talk to the Linux box without issue. I have done it
> in the past on occasion. I take it you are sharing a directory from
> the Linux box and want to connect to it on the iBook?
> It sounds like you are browsing to find the Linux box. Have you
> attempted to enter its IP address or its host name and share point
> into the Connect to Server dialog on the iBook? Out of curiosity, are
> you sharing files off the Linux box using NFS or SMB?
>
> David
>
> On Sep 3, 2005, at 11:56 AM, William Pociengel wrote:
>

>>Has anyone been able to get their panther machine to use the resources
>>available from a linux server?
>>I can see it from within virtualpc v7 but not from finder
>>william

I have different shares (so I can differentiate) exported both ways
(NFS, SMB). If it makes a difference I'm running wireless on the
powerbook (but then so is VPC ;-)

when I try by using the ip address and the name of the share I get the
following message:

"Could not connect to the server because the name or password is not
correct" this is puzzling as I know I've created a user/pw combo that
matches my X login.

when I tried on a different server it 'looked' like it connected, the
properties said I had R/W but I could not create anything there or see
anything there.

most puzzling

I have tons of 'stuff' for my newt and it would be nice to get access to
it ;-)

william