Re: [NTLK] NCU and "update" image file locations

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Tue Sep 06 2005 - 07:44:41 PDT

John Hay wrote:
> http://www.unna.org/unnasearch/entry.php?pkey=7
>
> ....is the link for the "2100CD". I "thought" this would have been
> the "original" full NCU installation archive, but once expanded it
> claims to be the "the MessagePad Upgrade CD".

Yes. It is the CD that was given to people who upgraded their 2000s to 2100s.
  It has the full NCU 1.0 installer on it.

IIRC, this is the history (please someone correct me if I'm wrong):

Apple started developing NCU and released public beta versions up to 1.0b5.
This expired sometime in 1997.

MP2000s started shipping with 1.0b6 on CD (NOT DOWNLOADABLE FROM APPLE), which
also had an expiry date. Before the expiry Apple made the updater available
which would patch 1.0b6 to 1.0.

When 2100s started shipping, they came with NCU 1.0 on floppies. At the same
time the 2000 upgrade program started, and people who participated in the
upgrade program got the "Upgrade" CD which contained NCU 1.0, NIE 2.0, and
some other stuff.

> So, I am still looking for a complete and full image file of whatever
> the CD was that shipped in the box with the 2x00 model Newtons during
> their production in the late 1990's.

IIRC, no Newton ever shipped with a CD in the box - only floppies.

> If anyone knows where this image file is please advise. I have found
> bit's and pieces of it on UNNA's site such as the NCU installer and
> the NBU installer, but I can NOT find an image file of the entire CD
> anywhere! This is sooooo odd.

The link you gave above to the 2100 upgrade CD *is* the CD. I thought I had
made a proper image with both the Mac and PC sessions on it, but upon further
inspection I was wrong. I guess I will have to re-rip my CD.