Re: [NTLK] Cracked u2100 case: No battery connection

From: Frank Gruendel (newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Tue Sep 06 2005 - 14:20:52 PDT

> My trusty u2100 developed a brittle case and some cracks occurred in
> the bezel around the screen and case by the cover hinge next to the
> power switch. It will only work off the AC adaptor. If I squeeze or
> twist the case I can get it to partially accept the battery for a few
> seconds, but then it goes back to not seeing it.

Provided that the battery contacts are clean, this looks like a bad
battery contact in the Newton. Usually it is the positive contact, i. e.
the one that contacts the rectangular battery contact. In rare cases
the culprit can be the fact that the spring that presses the negative
contact against the battery pack has become unseated.

See=20

    http://www.pda-soft.de/x00_disassemble.html, especially

http://www.pda-soft.de/2x00_disassembly23large.jpg

for info on how the spring must be seated. If it has come loose you can
usually see it without having to disassemble the Newton.

Frank