Re: [NTLK] N2 Platform Documentation

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Wed Sep 21 2005 - 07:47:21 PDT

Jake Bordens wrote:
> I've found an inconsistency in the N2 developer documentation on
> UNNA. <http://www.unna.org/unna/apple/documentation/n2platform>

<snip technobabble>
> My trusty ocilloscope tells me that this pin is usually LOW. And
> since the Interconnect Designer's Guide also says, "The newton OS is
> configured to enable the serial port to the INTERNAL slot as
> default." leads me to believe that it might be the right one.
>
> Any thoughts from those in-the-know?

Well, page 1-4 of the Interconnect Port Hardware Spec says:

"Serial Channel 3 is connected directly to the Newton Interconnect Port.
Because the channel is always enabled, care must be taken in its use."

This doc is dated Aug 13 1997, and most if not all of the N2 platform specs
were written in 1996 IIRC, so I'd be more inclined to trust the later
document. Perhaps this is why you can't use GPIO to flip the mode - access to
it may be disabled in the ROM?

If Eck were around he might be able to shed more light on this. If you read
his development blog he seems to have a handle on this:

http://40hz.org/mottek/