[NTLK] Re(2): Re(2): [OT] Blind Courtesy Copies "How To" and why

From: John Hay (OceanCity_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Sep 27 2005 - 09:24:32 PDT

Hi Jason,

I agree that I have no control over how it is used, and I accept the
fact that it is my obligation to be aware of this, and I am.

My only point, again ;-), was that a "sender" of email should at the
very least be aware of their actions and the consequences thereof.

For example, if I choose to mass mail an email to a list of my contacts,
I should at least consider the option I have to protect their names and
emails by using BLIND COURTESY COPIES vs. VISIBLE COURTESY COPIES
commonly knows as using the "To:" or the "CC:" fields instead of the
"BCC:" fields. That's all.

Or another example would be for "Product Liability" in the court system
which generally recognizes that even if a Warning Label with Pictures on
the side of a water pail indicating that it's possible for your baby to
drown in the pail if the pail has water in it and your baby's head ends
up under the water. Granted "some" portion of the blame might lay with
the pail manufacturer for not incorporating some kind of an elaborate
automatic fail-safe safety mechanism to prevent your baby's head from
entering the pail in the first place, but as a parent should you not
have been watching your baby a little better ? That's all I'm saying.

Cheers,

Byebyenow,

John

9/27/05 Jason Self issued the following and I have taken literary
license to pass it along on a "Need to Know Basis" . . . ?