Re: [NTLK] OT powerbook drives

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Fri Sep 30 2005 - 01:57:30 PDT

Subject: Re: [NTLK] OT powerbook drives
From: Koby Crooks <kobycrooks () earthlink ! net>
Date: 2005-09-28 19:13:25

> On Sep 28, 2005, at 1:58 PM, William Pociengel wrote:
>>
>> has anyone tried any of the 7200 rpm drives in a poerbook or ibook?
>> i'm
>> looking at upgrading and need some feedback.
>
> I have one in my powerbook and it is great. It improved performance
> overall as much (if not more in some cases) than extra RAM did. They
> just released 80 and 100gb sizes as well... I'd say go for it.

I got myself a nicely and slightly worn Titanium PowerBook 500 MHZ last
year
(following much good advice from NTLK; thanks, y'all!). It already had
512
MB RAM, but only the original, old 20 GB 5400 rpm HD, so I'd upgraded it
with a veeeery nice, speedy and silent Fujitsu 80 GB 5400 rpm 8 MB Cache
drive. Brilliant decision -- as opposed to the noisy original drive (was
that a Hitachi 20 GB?), you don't actually hear this one, only if you
really
strain yourself. Very delightful! Remember that you use the PB ON the
desk,
right in your reach, and that any noise it makes is right in your face
(as
opposed to a box standing under your table). Quite annoying. Also keep
in
mind that any heat increase will not only be uncomfy (besides helping
to age
the circuitry...), but also cause the fan to run more often and longer.
Really annoying.
   The speed increase was so significant that the previous PB's owner
actually regretted selling the nice and handy 15'' device (got himself a
HUUUUUGE 17'' one, too sizey for my taste). The new, modern disk (8
MB!!!
disk cache, much speedier read/write and transfer performance --
actually a
test-winner, too) really gave that PowerBook a second wind.

Another bonus besides the silent running, lower heat and power
consumption
is the more reasonable price of 2,5'' 5400 rpm disks, available even in
120
Gb flavor. And did I mention the large disk caches they have now? ;=}

And don't forget to put the old HD in a nice FW/USB 2.0 2,5'' case
(Momobay
CX-2 is NICE... White and silver aluminium case available for iBook and
PowerBook users, leather sleeve--as silencer/scratch protector--,
cables...
Not cheap, but well worth it: http://www.dvico.com/pcx-2.html and check
web
for reviews), makes a nice portable storage device, also nice for
backing up
data or lugging yer MP3s to the party, or taking some movies along, or
if
the drive even allows to be booted from, installing Ubuntu on it... Or
testdrive OS 10.4...

What are you going to do?

DJV.