[NTLK] IrDA printing

From: Michael Blazer <m.blazer_at_utoronto.ca>
Date: Mon Apr 03 2006 - 16:22:52 EDT

I recently came into possession of an HP printer (LaserJet 4050 series) with an IrDA
adapter, so I was eager to try out IrDA printing with my MP2100 and eMate. Had some
success with both, but:

- when it works, it's incredibly slow (like 3-4 minutes before a fairly short document
even starts to print, a minute or two to print a note only 50 characters long);

- it only works about half the time, and it seems more unlikely to work the longer the
document is (I'm only talking a couple of pages' worth). When it doesn't work, I get
the not-very-helpful error message, "Newton is unable to print."

This is even with the infrared ports lined up about 5 cm. apart. I was using the "HP
LaserJet 5MP (IrDA)" driver on the Newton/eMate.

Does anyone have any tips for improving the infrared printing experience? I noticed
that I can configure the serial port speed on the printer -- will this have any effect
on the IrDA port, and if so, what speed should I be able to run it at with the
Newton/eMate?

TIA,
Michael