[NTLK] A note for Linux users...

From: Christopher Lee <clee_at_OISI.com>
Date: Tue Apr 11 2006 - 11:06:37 EDT

Sorry if this has been discussed previously - I've been offlist for
several years.

I run Ubuntu Dapper Drake, the latest release of a debian-based distro
from http://www.ubuntulinux.com, and it never ceases to amaze me what
this OS can do.

I'd been having some trouble with NewtonLink getting Perl errors and not
running, so I tried UNixNPI and it worked like a champ. Now I could
install packages! w00T!

I tinkered with this app and then, out of curiosity, ran the Windows
version of NCU using the latest rev of Wine and it worked great.
Backups, package installation, NewtonWorks conversion, everything! No
slowdown necessary, either.

So...to make a long boring tale into a short, boring one, it is possible
to run NCU quite successfully with the latest version of Wine. I'd
rather have a Linux app that did all of this (that I could get to run,
heh heh), but until then I'm happy eith NCU.