Re: [NTLK] State of the NewtSync

From: Michael C. Wittmann <mwittmann_at_maine.edu>
Date: Thu Apr 13 2006 - 17:19:32 EDT

I hope these answers are of value... even after I got BT working on
my Newton!

> 1. How many people are actively using NewtSync?

meeeeee!

> 2. How many people would use NewtSync, but can't because of some type
> of problem?

I constantly have problems.

a. "Listen on all addresses" never shows up after some unspecified
period of time. So I can't connect.

b. I get an error every single time I successfully connect. After all
Notes are done being moved from Newton to Mac, An error window pops
up. I have no idea what causes it. This began after I used NCU to
synch with Claris a few times. Suddenly, quotation marks ("") were a
problem. I have no idea why. And it bombs on me every time...

c. On Panther, I could synch Dates and Tasks. In Tiger, I can't. It's
a reason I regret moving to Tiger, and I was unaware of the issue
before I did it. Would it have been better to just stay with Panther,
for this reason alone? Why, yes, yes it would.

> 3. What plugins are you using / would you use?

I would like to use Dates, Notes, and Tasks. I really have no need to
use the AB plugin. Notes backup is my norm.

I haven't used Dates since the new format of iCal takes
fooooorreeeeevvvveerrrr to load and annoys the hell out of me. Plus,
I don't need meeting times, I need tasks, and NewtSync doesn't do
that with iCal in Tiger.

> 4. What would be your preferred connection method for NewtSync?
> (serial, TCP/IP, etc)

I have preferred TCP/IP over ethernet. Now that I have bluetooth
working, that might be possible, too. But serial? None of my
computers do it anymore, not via the old serial cable.

> 5. How many of you are using pre-Panther systems? (Universal
> Binaries require 10.3.9 or higher)

As I said above, there are times when I wish I were using Panther at
10.3.9 merely for the sake of Newton connectivity. It used to work
FINE under Panther, but not anymore...

Michael