Re: [NTLK] State of the NewtSync

From: John <OceanCity_at_mac.com>
Date: Fri Apr 14 2006 - 14:10:08 EDT

>The problem is that I have no access to Serial any more, except via
>IrDA, but that hasn't worked with my Newton since i upgraded to X, and
>it's devishly slow in any case--too slow for my number of contacts.
>So, for me TCP/IP is my only option.

Good points, indeed. If you don't have a serial port to plug your
Newton into then you may be using an non-wired connection. Such the
case, then point-in-fact to develop multiple compatibilities for
connecting Newtons to computers.

I guess looking back to the day I needed to "re-learn" from scratch how
to connect a Newton to my computer, after I guess 5-6 years of living
without a Newton (I was an original owner back in the day, used my
Newton daily and was a member of the New York Newton User's Group which
had about 50 members) when I jumped ship to Palm (I know, sorry!) my
first inclination was to try to use the stock Newton serial cable. I
even went so far as to dedicate an old G4 as a Legacy Classic
environment with the stealth serial port (the one that plugs into the
logic board where the G4 internal modem normally sits). I then
proceeded, with some much needed help from users on this list, to
establish my first link between my new Newton 2100 I bought on eBay and
my G4. Once I jumped over the newbie hurdles the serial connection
worked flawlessly. I don't know, looking back, if I would have had the
patience and the know-how to obtain and configure a wireless connection
in lieu of the serial wired cable.

Lots of good points to consider.

More than ever, a heartfelt thanks to all who forge forward steadfast in
developing new Newton solutions.

John