Re: [NTLK] blunt: continued...

From: Michael C. Wittmann <mwittmann_at_maine.edu>
Date: Sat Apr 15 2006 - 11:07:14 EDT

Eckhart,

Thanks for suggesting using the Wiki to post about ways in which
"Getting Things Done" is implemented on a Newton. I don't actually
use GTD, but I do follow a few of the sites that talk about it a lot.
I find that I use a Newton - the hardware/software tools affect the
implementation of my organizational structure, and GTD gets annoying
in the process. Anyway, I'll post on that in the wiki...

On Apr 15, 2006, at 4:34 AM, Eckhart Köppen wrote:

>> Now, it's time to play with iCal information! Can I get it
>> back and forth? IC/VC, here we come...
>
> Forth yes, back no ;) - I'm using other data sources for appointment
> data (mostly Outlook & Exchange), so I just use the Newton to have a
> snapshot of that data, but not to transfer it from the Newton
> somewhere else.

Ahhhh. Bummer, I hadn't realized that. If I wanted merely a snapshot
of my appointments with no ability to edit or change them, I'd use my
iPod calendar. But, since I always have the Newton along, and it is
the "master" location of my appointment life (especially with
MoreInfo linking to create projects and rich webs of information), I
actually need things the other way. I want to have a quick and dirty
way to remind myself of appointments or tasks.

One solution I've found is emailing them to myself. Another solution
has been to download text files and then use a program like Hallon on
OS X to attach an alarm to the file. Hallon is actually really great
for working with text files like that...

> I think I might have implemented sending single
> appointments via OBEX, but I'm not sure. Sending all appointments is
> definitely missing. The application where this should go is IC/VC.

If IC/VC had the ability to send multiple appointments in a format
readable by iCal or whatever, I'd really appreciate that.

As always, it's wonderful to know that developers are still out there
and new solutions to problems are invented. You folks are wonderful,
and we as a community don't thank you enough!

Herzliche Gruesse,
Michael Wittmann--