Re: [NTLK] eMate Assistance

From: Flemming Sorvin <fsorvin_at_alumni.sfu.ca>
Date: Thu Apr 20 2006 - 11:39:56 EDT

> I have found that the ones that did break were because the students
> opened the eMate all the way back, then the hinge would break or pop
> off.

I think what has happened with your hinge repair, is that you made
the curl of the clutch spring too tight. It's grabbing the axle of
the hinge and undoing all the hard work you put into re-bending the
spring by pulling it back out. I did this myself when doing a hinge
repair and had to go back in and make the curl a little bigger
diameter. It's hard to get it just right, but you can get a feel for
it by bending an unrepaired hinge and comparing the resistance.

I don't know if your stopper knob on the back of the eMate case is
going to make a difference if your springs are popping out in the
long run. It might only be delaying it from happening.

By the way, I admire all the work you must have put in to get those
eMates going. And I'm envious of your classroom. I wish there were
such a classroom here for my kids to attend.

I'm curious to know what you do with your class and the eMates. What
software are you using? What activities to you have them do with the
eMates? Do you use them outside the classroom (on field trips for
instance)?