Re: [NTLK] Newtons and Palms together

From: Ed Kummel <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu Apr 20 2006 - 14:17:41 EDT

Newtons and Palms together? That's just crazy talk! I mean, whoever heard of such a thing? Sheesh! What's next? Lions lying down with Lambs? Republicans agreeing with Democrats? Where will it end? It's a travesty of nature! The natural order of things will be forever lost..Chaos will ensue and the earth will open up and swallow the unworthy! Catalysmic doom...doom....doom...doom...(continue with Gir's Doom song...)

  Actually, I don't' use a palm...I could never bring myself to drink that kool-aid...I did touch one once with the end of a broomstick, just to see if it would power on (from 3 feet away...

  I recently joined the ranks of the BlackBerry carriers...
  I use my Newton and BB for different things. My Newt is my note taker...It's like a spiral notebook with every note I've ever written since the mid 90's.
  Its an archival retreival system for contact information (offspring and pets of people I've saved in my contacts list) It also maintains every password I use for every webpage and server that I need to log into...(the newt has an intrinsic security beyond geeksafe in that 99.999% of the people would may come across my Newton would not know enough to even find my passwords...)
  My BB I use mainly for communication purposes...phone, email, IM...that sort of stuff....I certainly don't want to type out notes on that thing, but do if necessary...and on a similar vein, I do send and receive email with my Newt (I write notes during meetings and email them to my desktop computer)
So, instead of convergence, I believe in a distinct seperation of tasks, with some melding similar functionality...
  I believe that the same could be said of the Palm, especially the Treo in that the Palm is basically a task machine where the Newton is a thinking machine...
  Ed
  web/gadget guru
  Download Newton packages directly onto your Newton: http://newton.tek-ed.com

Jon Glass <jonglass@usa.net> wrote:
    Here's a dumb question, no tomatoes please!
<snip>

Hence my question.....
Is there anybody on this list who uses both on a regular/daily basis?
Do you get them to interact? Are you able to get, for instance, Mac OS
X to sync both via the Address Book? What do you do with each? I know
what I'm thinking for my Palm/Newton combo. I'm curious what you do
and how you do it. Any software in particular you find helpful? Any
tricks, etc?

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland