[NTLK] MP2k not 'charging': just 'waiting' ?

From: BobR <newttalk_at_old-sock.co.uk>
Date: Wed Aug 02 2006 - 20:13:21 EDT

Hello, from a new subscriber.
I'm a long-time Newton owner, and now I have a small problem with my
MessagePad 2100. It's been in constant use while I develop some Newton
data-logging software. I think the battery pack might be failing - instead
of saying 'charging' when the power adaptor is connected, it says 'waiting'.
It will sit 'waiting' forever. That is, it did sit waiting - until I
discovered a workaround. If I put the Newton in the fridge for an hour (at 5
degrees C) and then remove it and connect the power adaptor it will charge
just fine. It will continue charging, and then revert to 'waiting' at some
point. Another session in the fridge, and then it will charge up again. I've
done this 3 times, but now I'm wondering if there's a better fix. Do I need
to rebuild the battery pack ? Or maybe some temperature sensor has failed ?
Meanwhile, in the cause of science, I will continue chilling the Newt.
But if anyone can shed light on this problem I would be most grateful.

Bob Redknap
http://www.old-sock.co.uk
for Newton data-logging software.