Re: [NTLK] Exporting as an OPML file

From: Steven Frank <stevenf_at_panic.com>
Date: Thu Aug 03 2006 - 16:15:37 EDT

        delsp=yes;
        format=flowed
> What I am wondering is if there's a way to send Newton Outlines to
> the desktop not as
> OmniOutliner files but as OPML files. It seems to be more sensible to
> have that format (readable by many outliner programs) than to use OO,
> open, export to OPML, and then move on.

That's quite a compelling idea. I'm also a bit of an outline/
checklist maniac, and it would be awesome to move them more freely
between OmniOutliner and the Newton.

I don't use NewtSync at the moment, but one thing that DID
immediately pop into mind is that the "HTMList" package is already
halfway there. This package installs an action in Notes that takes a
styled note as input, and spits out a new note containing the
equivalent HTML code to render the note's text with those styles.

Now, without knowing what I'm talking about, it doesn't seem like it
would take much to modify this existing package to produce OPML from
an outline.

And what would be REALLY killer is if you could go the other way --
take a note containing OPML code and produce a regular Newton outline
from it. Then you could export from the Newton, modify in
OmniOutliner, and re-import to the Newton. It would take a few
steps, but it would be completely end-to-end.

Hmm!

Man, do I wish we had a modern set of Newton developer tools, as I
can never get NTK to run reliably. Also I wish I knew more about
NewtonScript. And also I wish I had a pony.

Steven
http://panic.com/
http://stevenf.com/