Re: [NTLK] Going for a Newton

From: Andrew Smallshaw <andrews_at_sdf.lonestar.org>
Date: Sat Aug 05 2006 - 17:59:56 EDT

On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 09:35:15PM +0100, Seb Payne wrote:

> a.) I've never seen a real Newton - can anyone related how big a 2000/2100
> is to everyday objects?

A lot of people have compared the Newt to a VHS tape, but I'd slightly
refine that - it's almost exactly the size of a VHS cassette _case_ - the
plastic kind that prerecorded tapes come in, not the cardboard sleeves
that blank cassettes come with. Compared to a VHS case it's _slightly_
longer and possibly slightly thinner, at least if you don't count the
feet on the bottom of the unit. This is for MP2000/2100 by the way.

> b.) How heavy is a 2000/2100 with battery pack?

Just weighed my MP2000 - 650g or 1lb 7oz.

> c.) Can anyone give any comments on email/internet support - I hear it isn't
> brilliant but any user comments?

Email is fine. Web browsing is best viewed as an extra for use when
nothing else is available if you don't want to be disappointed.

> d.) I've been talked to 'knowledgenavigator' (www.newtonsales.com) and I can
> get a 'good condition' 2100 for $189 which seems a lot to me. The $89 ones
> aren't in that good nick. Any thoughts on this pricing (I'm in the UK so I'd
> be interested to hear if anyone has a 2000/2100 for sale in the UK)?

Keep an eye on eBay - I picked up a new MP2000 for 50 pounds about 18
months ago.

> e.) Is there much difference between getting a 2000/21000 - can't the extra
> memory just be added?

Not easily. I don't know of anyone still offering memory upgrades and
never seen any documentation on how to do it yourself. As for how
important it is, obviously it depends on what you're doing. Speaking
personally, I'd like to upgrade my MP2000, but I regard a keyboard as
a bigger priority - the handwriting recognition _is_ good but you
still want a keyboard when entering large amounts of text.

> f.) How stable are the syncing solutions for Tiger 10.4 - are they being
> developed or not?

Sorry can't help you there.

> My main concern is that it is will be too big - I'm only a teenager so I
> don't want to go around carrying something that is gonna make me look stupid

I keep mine in my jacket pocket - it is noticable when I put in on, but
it doesn't create a noticable bulge and you soon get used to the
additonal bulk. Whenever I get a new coat, however, one of the
requirements is that it has a big enough pocket for the newt...

--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews@sdf.lonestar.org