Re: [NTLK] question about serial dongle

From: Ed Kummel <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Aug 07 2006 - 11:51:00 EDT

Unfortunatly, superglue is a temporary solution at best.
  Due to superglue's crystaline structure, the holding power of superglue is only strong on one plane. If you exert pressure on two or more axis, the bond breaks with little force (I'm not a chemist, but I've scraped some barnicles in my time)
  The best option is an epoxy that has some structure to it...unfortunatly, the area around the IO port is limited and there probably would not be enough epoxy to offer any long term holding power...
  Basically what I'm saying is that if your IO port is loose, then you're screwed....there is no fix. sorry
  Ed
  web/gadget guru
  Download Newton packages directly onto your Newton: http://newton.tek-ed.com

maynard@jmg.com wrote:

Simple question:

The interface port on the top of my 2100. I have a dongle to this
interface which converts to din8, but it's a soft connection. That is, the
physical connection is wearing out and so the dongle slips on and off
easily enough to lose connectivity when the newton is moved around.

Question: Is there anything else which uses the interface? Because if
not, I'm thinking about supergluing the dongle in place so as to prevent
further damage. Does this make sense to do? --M

"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."
 - Douglas Adams

See the all-new, redesigned Yahoo.com.  Check it out.