Re: [NTLK] Email is sssllloooowww

From: Ed Kummel <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed Aug 09 2006 - 16:38:32 EDT

I have found that when dealing with email, you need to maximize your heap.
  The amount of memory you have or have available is not all that important. Get yourself a utility that reports the amount of heap available on your Newt (I use Avi's backdrop) and then attempt to maximize the heap. You do this one of two ways...Either delete stuff off of your Newt, or freeze packages. A third way I used to use back in my 120 days was I would offload certain large packages onto a memory card, then pop the memory card out (to use my AllPoints card) which would release all that memory to the heap. Remember, even if you're not running the application, every thing on your Newt that is not frozen will take up valuable heap...

  Ed
  web/gadget guru
  Download Newton packages directly onto your Newton: http://newton.tek-ed.com

Jim Felder <felder@knology.net> wrote:
  Hello,

I've been using SimpleMail for a few weeks now via modem, but that
seems to be coming to an end as my mail-getting is slowing to the
point of unusability.

I haven't made any changes that I can remember, except"

I'm filtering out messages from my most active newsgroups, and

I'm filtering out messages over 20K in size, and

I've set SimpleMail to browse, rather than download, unread messages.

I connected at 10:50. SimpleMail looked for messages until 11:00 or
so, at which point it started browsing. Now at 11:17 it has browsed
3 of 91 messages.

I haven't checked the modem as I don't have another one to swap out.
Anything obvious I should be looking for? I've got about a meg of
internal and about 5 megs of card memory to work with at present.

Thanks,

Jim

"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."
 - Douglas Adams