Re: [NTLK] Hiroshi's Drivers vs. AirPort Extreme

From: Roman Pixell [GMail] <roman.pixell_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun Aug 13 2006 - 06:12:33 EDT

douglas,

i guess sonyas solution is very suitable for home users - i mean if
the purpose is to keep the bandwidth for yourself, it will work in
most cases. if youre thinking of "real" security - surprise surprise
- there is none in the wireless world anyway. for enterprise users,
the solution is to stay away from WLAN at all and simply stick to
bluetooth for file transfer, IR for printing and simple ethernet for
sync. im lucky enough to have a licence for hiroshis drivers, but
frankly, ive only had problems trying to switch on the WEP.

the only backdraw with the MAC-solution is that you will have to add
new network cards (computers) manually each time. say for example
that a friend is visiting and you want to let him in, you would need
to 1) check his MAC address, 2) enter it into the MAC list via the
airport admin interface, 3) probably restart the base (havent checked
last one, but i assume so.)

regarding there is ethernet and bluetooth, plus that WLAN really
sucks the juice out of my newt, i havent really used the WLAN card in
ages. i cant recall the last time i did in fact.

/ ®