Re: [NTLK] A programming question (Newton as a controller for an electric motor)

From: Morgan Aldridge <makkintosshu_at_mac.com>
Date: Sun Aug 13 2006 - 11:09:13 EDT

[Sending this again since I quoted too much text and didn't see the
ecartis rejection e-mail]

Chris,

Excellent project (one I've considered a number of times myself)! Are
you leaning towards a DC or AC drive system?

Most electric vehicle controllers out there (I'd suggest the Zilla --
http://cafeelectric.com/ -- for DC or a Siemens -- see http://
metricmind.com/ -- for AC) provide serial interfaces, so it's mainly
a matter of writing a library to communicate with the controller over
serial and then writing an app on top of that.

Keep us posted and please join the Electric Vehicle Discussion List
(http://evdl.org/), if you haven't already. They discussed building
your own smart cruise control nearly a hear ago (and probably before
that as well).

Like NTLK, you'll find a lot of brilliant minds on EVDL. :)

Oh, and do keep us posted!

Morgan Aldridge

--
morgant@makkintosshu.com