Re: [NTLK] Increasing the RAM of an MP2100

From: Goodwin, Greg P. <GoodwinG_at_aafes.com>
Date: Thu Aug 17 2006 - 15:44:11 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: maynard@jmg.com

   Hi. I realize the 2100 has the most RAM of any MPs, but 4MB still seems
a bit limited. When I was a kid I once piggybacked a row of 4116 RAM chips
onto the internal chips soldered to a TRS-80 mainboard, upping the machine
to 32KB. Shouldn't that be possible with the messagepad too? I mean,
assuming the ARM has more than 22 address lines...

?????

--
There were like 12 mb and 16 mb internal ram modules made for the development Newtons.  Kinda hard to find.  I'm guessing in those cases where regular Newtons have the set rom area and the ram area, the development Newtons had all ram so they could make changes to what would be the built in applications?  Just a hypothisis.
Then down the pike, Dave Humphreys, who made the SER-001 (added serial port for the Newton 2000) and the memory upgrade clone of the upgrade Apple made for the E-mate (got both of those) was said to have an idea how to update the Newton 2x00's internal ram.  There was a lot enthusiasm for the board, and in particular one member who was big on marketing and legalize, and after he well-meaningly posted enough retorik to sink a battleship, I think poor Dave was overwhelmed and kinda slipped out of that project.  Pity really.