Re: [NTLK] Seeking 2-3 Newtons for a cause...

From: Randy Glenn <randy.glenn_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu Aug 17 2006 - 23:18:40 EDT

He might be looking to write his own software to interface to
something connected to the serial port, in which case no such
eMate-only restriction applies.

On 8/17/06, MKow1234@aol.com <MKow1234@aol.com> wrote:
> Hello Chris:
>
> I will save you considerable effort. To my knowledge, the only Newton that
> works with the various external testing probes is the eMate. I do not believe
> that you can run the probes and software (in their current form) successfully on
> other Newton hardware.
>

> So, if you are seeking Newton hardware for your car dashboard Newton display
> idea, you will need to seek eMates. You will then have to deal with how you
> would remove the guts from these eMates and mount them in place of your other
> dashboard displays. Then, you would need to figure out how you would make the
> test probe interface box(es) to work with the eMates. I believe that each test
> probe interface box can handle two different probe inputs. Of course, you would
> need several of those interfce boxes as well, to handle the various engine
> inputs. I'm guessing you should expect to pay roughly $50 - 100 per eMate.
> Maybe a bit more if you deal with ebay wh@r3s. Good luck...
>

> Matt
>

> --

-Randy Glenn
Computer Eng. and Mgt. Year V, McMaster University
Regional Student Representative, IEEE Canada
randy.glenn-at-gmail.com - glennrb-at-mcmaster.ca
randy.glenn-at-computer.org - randy_glenn-at-ieee.org
http://www.randyglenn.ca