Re: [NTLK] need replacement screen for newton 2100

From: James Nichols <smilr_at_mac.com>
Date: Mon Aug 21 2006 - 13:54:17 EDT

Do you really need to replace the entire screen?

Newton MP2100 screens consist of 3 separate parts: the digitizer
glass on top, the lcd screen in the middle, and the backlight foil on
the bottom. On several occasions modern replacements for the
backlight foil have been manufactured in small quantities, including
white backlight versions. Noone has been making new digitizers or
lcds for many years, and replacement parts for these are often hard
to come by without stripping them out of another newton.

If all you want is a white backlight, that should be doable. I forget
who had some for sale most recently, someone on the list should know.

The site you link to is an *O.K.* take apart guide for the mp2100, a
far better series of instructions for disassembly, changing the
backlight foil, and reassembly can be found at Frank Gruendel's site:

http://www.pda-soft.de/2x00_disassemble.html
http://www.pda-soft.de/2x00backlightreplacement.html
http://www.pda-soft.de/2x00_reassemble.html

clicking on most of the pictures will give you a higher-res version
of that image, and Frank goes into some depth on the entire process.

J. Tyler Nichols