[NTLK] Connecting HP CapShare 920 Scanner to Newton 2100

From: Frank Gruendel <newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de>
Date: Tue Aug 22 2006 - 16:56:04 EDT

Hi folks,

a Newton-2100-using friend of mine is contemplating buying a
HP CapShare 920 for his 2100, but is unsure about whether this
would work reliably. He does not have access to a desktop computer
normally, hence the scanner would be of almost no use unless it
works reliably with the Newton. Considering that these beasts are sold
at an amazingly high price even today, I'm trying to find out if this
purchase will make him happy or unhappy.

I've searched all NewtonTalk digests from November 2000 through to
today,
and I've also searched the searcheable archive, but I've only found
Ermin F. Mistica who reported success using it with a 2100 and BackTalk
from
SmartDog, a USD 40 Newton software that allowed to beam the data from
the scanner
to the Newton. This was some time in 2100 and the only success report
that I
found.

Can anyone here confirm that this scanner will work with the 2100 if
BackTalk is bought, or can anyone confirm that it won't? If it will, is
there
anyone on this list who's currently trying to get rid of such a scanner?

Thanks a lot

Frank